Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Birth and Babies

Oh babies are so fun! I get so excited when I hear about babies coming on their own terms and being healthy. It's on my list of happy thoughts.

I've been thinking a lot about babies and birth. Obviously I'm getting ready for Kidney Bean to arrive, but it's a little more than that. There is this passion that rests barely beneath my surface and it takes so much for me to not get on a soap box and shout out information to women having babies. I feel sad when I hear women talk about their complete medical documented pregnancy and births. Not because I don't believe in medical intervention when necessary, but because these women trust and accept the medical opinion without realizing or acknowledging the natural process of having a baby. Pregnancy is not a disease. It's not something that needs a cure. There are instances when medical intervention is absolutely necessary and saves lives. For that I am grateful we have hospitals and doctors with fancy equipment and tests. But why do we need all that medical stuff shoved at a completely healthy pregnant woman simply because she is pregnant?
The natural birthing process is an amazing, awe-inspiring, incredible, miraculous thing. I have a deep conviction of going back to the basics of trusting your body and believing that your body knows how to birth your baby. I wish more women would take the time and energy to truly look at the birthing process and question the information given to them. Every women is entitled to her own birth, her own way. My hope is that she has solid information to help her decide what way is truly her way.

I am excited and nervous about birthing Kidney Bean. I hope to provide our sweet baby with a safe, peaceful, noninvasive entrance into this crazy world. She deserves it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kay... thank you for sharing your heart regarding birth and natural wonder of bringing life into this World.
    Every woman is different and has different needs, but if I have another baby, I feel it would be great to have my baby at home. A lot of people close to me greatly disagree with this desire in my heart, but deep down, I know it would be very rewarding.
    I hope your birthing experience is positive, spiritual, healthy and successful! I'll be praying for you and lil' kidney bean! Love.
    Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Beth! I hope you get to have the birthing experience you desire if/when you have another child!

    ReplyDelete