Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Woes of Winter

We took a great deal longer getting over being sick than I originally thought we would..... over 2 weeks. During that time, no one was well enough to shovel the driveway. It might not seem like a big deal, but it was really worrisome to me.

We have a long driveway that ends at our shop door which we park our vehicles in during the winter months. If the driveway is not kept clear, we are unable to open the shop door and thus have to park our vehicles outside... again, big deal! When it gets as cold as it does up here, any protection you can give your car helps start it in the morning and keeps tires inflated. During our sick period, the vehicles were safely tucked inside the shop..... we had to bust them out of there with a iced shut door.


I had one day to clear the driveway when it warmed up to 30+ degrees. I got out my shovel and started hacking away at the ice and packed snow build up. I called reinforcements after 30 minutes. Thankfully she was available after taking cookies out of the oven! We hacked and shoveled, pushed, and shoveled some more. At one point, it felt like breaking up icebergs...... Finally we got it cleared enough to declare it done!

I celebrated with warm drinks and hot supper and fell asleep exhausted. This morning I look out and it snowed again last night...... Hopefully we can work on a maintenance contract the rest of the winter and we don't fall behind on the shoveling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment